Saturday, March 27, 2010

True Religion

In my last post, I started off just writing about Ephraim, but I ended up getting on a bit of a soap box sharing my thoughts on Christians' responsibility toward orphans. I realized I didn't back up my beliefs so I wanted to do that now.

"Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1.27

This verse has rocked our world over the past couple years. It's huge. That's religion to God. True religion. Looking after orphans and widows (basically the helpless, those who can't take care of themselves and have no one else to take care of them) and to keep yourself from being polluted by the world. I think these things go hand-in-hand. The world teaches us to look out for ourselves, go after our dreams, buy things. God asks us to sacrifice it all, to help other people, to put others ahead of ourselves.

So with the amount of orphans there are in our world, who should be stepping up? It should be the followers of Christ!

3 comments:

~Stacy said...

I read somewhere along my adoption journey that if only 7% of Christians reached out to one orphan, there would be no orphans in this world. Yet the orphan statistics remain so alarming... sad.

Sara said...

This is really beautiful, Laurel (this is Sara from Sam and Sara who adopted Sadie and Sebastian while you guys were with us in Ethiopia) - love this verse. Love your blog and really love this post.

Sara said...

BTW, you can email me at stubbert@yahoo.com :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...