Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Scheduled Motherhood

I'm a stay-at-home-mom. They call us SAHMs. There's a community of us online that I'm discovering lately. Blogs, websites, discussion groups. You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how to properly clean a house, which toys will best stimulate your toddler, the most effective uses of coupons, managing to take a shower with three kids staring at you, and how every ten minutes of your day should be scheduled.

This last one is what I want to talk about today. Stay-at-home-mom schedules. Do I need one? This is what I've been trying to figure out this week.

Because sometimes I look at Ephraim playing contently on the floor by himself (when this occasionally happens) and I realize I could accomplish something right now. And my mind gets bombarded with all the things that I need to do, all the things I want to do, and all the things I should do. The dishes are dirty, I don't have any clean shirts, my son still needs attachment work, I have to bake brownies by tomorrow, the toilets are dirty, the dogs haven't had any attention in a week, we're on our last two ounces of milk, it's 11:00 and I still haven't put on makeup, and I'd love to Facebook stalk someone right now. Then the sometimes hindering question is: What do I do right now?

A lot of times I feel like I just randomly piddle through the day and by the end I got a few things done, but I could have managed my time so much more effectively.

Yet I look at some of these blogs where moms have every ten minutes of their days outlined and I don't really want to do that, frankly. I love not having a schedule and set times I have to be somewhere. That was part of the joy in leaving the working world, I thought. I just get to make it up as I go along. I understand the importance of routine for children and Ephraim does have one. I'm talking about the time in between routines.

So I'm in this dilemma of making myself a schedule (I'll admit I've already done it, I just don't follow it yet), or just sort of winging my days, or finding an in between option.

I'm curious, moms, how do you handle your time?

4 comments:

Meg Fletcher said...

Well I'm not a mom but I feel like if it's not your personality to schedule then that's ok. If I was in your shoes I'd say to myself "What do I have the energy to do right now?" and just do that. Sometimes the down-times like for me watching I Love Lucy helps me to relax and store up some energy...so if you want to facebook, do it because maybe that's what you need.

mary gendron said...

My kids pretty much, eat & sleep at the same time everyday. Monday's are usually clean up from the weekend and run errands. Not always. I love a spontaneous invite to lunch or play date with friends. I have dirty dishes in my sink right now....and I should go take care of it before my baby wakes up...

RamonandTara said...

I think its all up to you and how your personality handles things. I for instance like lists. I'll write things down sometimes the start of a week that I'd like to get accomplished and check it off. If I don't complete it then on to the next day to try. Also Mondays are heavy laundry days and Wednesdays I clean the house. These things don't always get done as planned because I have children. They want to get out and play and spontaneity can be a good thing!

~Stacy said...

Well, this is what works for me... Ditch the schedule. Live one moment at a time. But always remember when it comes to all those things that need to be done... it's easier to keep up than to catch up!! lol. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...