Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Godsend of a Book

Attention international adoptive families: I have found a Godsend in the form of a book entitled Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child: From Your First Hours Together Through the Teen Years by Patty Cogen.

I belong to a support group for adoptive families that is run by Reach here in Visalia. The leader is a wonderful woman (social worker) who just helps and helps and helps. Reach has a lending library from which you can borrow books and this is the third I've borrowed in about a month! Anyway, the group leader picked up this book, emailed me right way, and brought it to me at our next group meeting. I took it from her, flipped through it, and immediately found an entire section on sleep! You have no idea how ecstatic this made me. The circumstances of Ephraim's past affect his sleep more than anything else and I've been struggling with how to handle this. I read books and articles about helping your baby sleep through the night and sleep training, etc. and my mind goes, "Yeah, but you can't use that technique with a baby who has my son's background of institutionalization, etc." And I've never read anything on sleep as it relates to adoption. But I have now!

I went home and read that section to Chris and just felt so relieved and like it was going to be okay. It validated for me that our instincts when it comes to Ephraim's sleep are correct, it affirmed us in what we've already taught him in regards to sleep, and it gave us our next steps. And that's just one chapter of this amazing book!

So if you are an internationally adoptive family, pick up this book. It is a Godsend.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Hi Laurel,

I KNOW all children are different, and I haven't read any of your posts on sleep to know exactly what you're dealing w/ so excuse an ignorance on my part. Both of the babies were keeping us up 2-3 times a night. Finally, Jim said, "No more bottles at night." It literally took one night of it, and they've slept through the night ever since. I'm not saying it b/c I think this is what you should do, I'm just throwing it out there. I seriously thought I would never sleep through the night again.

I'll have to look up the book. Thanks for sharing.

:-)Angie

Laurel Feierbach said...

Angie, thanks for the comment. We actually cut out the nighttime bottle a couple of months ago and were surprised at how easy it was, too. At this point, it's more that Ephraim has a hard time putting himself back to sleep when he wakes up, which is several times a night. But this week he slept through the night for 5 nights in a row! Last night wasn't good, but it's progress.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...