Friday, August 6, 2010

Grandma's Chicken and Rice Casserole

As you can tell, my blog is changing a bit right now. I'm trying some new things, mostly in an attempt to become more focused and purposeful in this little space of the World Wide Internet that currently belongs to me. Since my life right now centers around my roles as wife and mom, that's what I'll be writing about the most. Hope you enjoy!

So today I am posting my first recipe. I know a lot of people who are struggling financially right now so I wanted to share my grandma's chicken and rice casserole with a few tweaks from my mom and I. Chris and I are very frugal, mostly out of necessity, but also out of a belief that as Christians we should not live in a financially extravagant manner. This is a recipe that we often use at the end of the month when we are barely scraping by till our next paycheck. It is super cheap and easy and we eat the leftovers throughout the week.

Chicken and Rice

12 pieces chicken (thighs, legs)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
2 2/3 c rice
3 c hot water
Garlic salt
Pepper
Paprika

Place rice, soup, soup mix, and hot water in a 9x13 pan. Stir really well. Wipe down the chicken and pull off any blobs of fat. Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Set chicken on top of rice. Sprinkle fairly generously with paprika. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hr 15 min. Remove foil and bake another half hour.

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

Meg Fletcher said...

That sounds so yummy! I'm going to try it! (And thank you so much for the prayers! It's an exciting move for us but also a little scary, but we're in God's hands and that's a good place to be!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...