Saturday, August 14, 2010

Proof of Stress

Stress: physical, mental, or emotional strain or tension. Apparently I've been under a lot of this lately. You know how I know?

I went to the doctor because (confession) I have a rash on my trunk. Just little red raised bumps everywhere. I've never had anything like this before. I woke up with it on Tuesday, but I haven't felt sick and it doesn't itch or hurt. I went to the doctor when it hadn't gone away or changed in a couple days and as she's trying to figure out what it is, she asks if I've been under a lot of stress lately. Thinking of my day-to-day life, I didn't recall anything unusual and so I replied, "no." But as I sat there in the chair, I realized, "Yes, I've been under a lot of stress lately." In fact, I had stomach pain for a couple days that week, which (for me) is often brought on by stress.

Chris and I have had some financial stuff going on lately, actually as of last weekend. We paid off our car, which ended up costing more than we were originally told so it took more out of our bank account than we had expected. Edison charged us about $400 too much for last month's bill. We didn't see this until they had already taken the money out, which basically wiped us out of all money except what we'd already set aside for the month's expenses prior to our next paycheck. And they said it could take about a month to reimburse us.

I get easily stressed about money. When I have a plan and something takes it away, it stresses me out. When we have no money, it stresses me out. So I've been stressed.

Back to my rash! The doctor thinks it's pityriasis rosea, which is caused by stress. There's nothing you can do about it. You just sort of wait it out.

But having stomach pain for a couple days and a rash all over my torso has made me realize I need to handle my stress better! So I'm doing more deep breathing, I'm trying to laugh more (making my son laugh and watching Seinfeld is accomplishing this quite nicely), and I'm writing down the millions of things in my mind that I stress over not forgetting. And I'm curious, what do you do to de-stress or to keep stress out of your life?

4 comments:

JMH85 said...

I get stressed a lot too and I have found stretching to be very relaxing. I bought a dvd from amazon called stretching for beginners, nice easy routine and a relaxtion at the end all in 20 minutes. I know it can be hard to find the time with a toddler, but it is a total tension melter for me so I thought I'd pass it on.

Laurel Feierbach said...

Thanks Jenna! I used to take yoga classes and that was a huge stress relief for me. I might look into that DVD or another like it.

camilyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mano said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...