Monday, October 11, 2010

Risky Business

I recently came across a study from a few years back that asked 95-year-olds what they would do differently if they had it all to do over.

One of the three things they said was that they would have risked more.

They would have risked more.

This got me thinking about what risks I should take before my time is up.  A few things come to mind right off the bat: adopting again, moving to the inner city, downsizing my home and my stuff.

The thing is, I just keep realizing more and more that God asks of us this: that we live on the edge.  That we are foolish for Him.  That our safety and our security and our retirement and our comfortable comfiness and even our desires are not important to us anymore.  That we are willing to give all of that up for His sake.

It seems to me that our version of Christianity in America today has somehow found a way to say that God wants, even commands us to have a savings account, a 401K, a house.  To be financially secure, to invest, to be wealthy.  I don't see this in the Bible.  I see Jesus tell a guy to go sell everything he has and give the money to the poor.  I see Jesus say not to store up stuff for yourself on Earth, but to focus on heaven and eternity.  I see the church in Acts grow and bring people into the faith because no one was rich and no one was poor and they achieved this because they gave and gave and gave to each other.  That's the "financial planning" I see in the Bible.

And that's how I want to live.  But I don't.  Not really.  I like stuff, I own a home that is bigger than I need, I spend a stupid amount on Christmas presents.

But I'm working on it.  I hear about Francis Chan (a pastor and author) selling his house and moving his family into the inner city to minister there.  I find out more about the situation in Haiti and all the homeless kids who were former child slaves and what people are doing to help.  And I'm inspired.  I want to live more on the edge.  I want to be okay with not having a retirement plan in place.  I want to live as Jesus lived.  With all that entails.

1 comment:

Venessa said...

This is a great post Laurel! And it is something that I have been thinking about a ton lately! Thank you for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...