Friday, October 22, 2010

A Thousand Thanks

I'm trying to become a more grateful person.  I feel that I've become negative in my old age.  Have you met those people who have a knack for finding the beauty, the joy, the goodness in every day?  I want to be more like those people.

Last night I was on Sacred Space (If you've never checked this out, I encourage you to do so.  It's a prayer site set up by the Irish Jesuits and it's pretty darn neat.)  and they were talking about being grateful for and enjoying the blessings God gives us in this world, but not becoming distracted by them thereby falling too much in love with this life.  I thought that summed up the human condition pretty well.  We walk this line, don't we?  We try to enjoy the good things in this world, but at the same time we must remain keenly aware that this world is not what we are about.  We must see the glimpses of heaven around us as just that...glimpses of heaven.  And we must love them for that glimpse.

This series is an attempt by my husband and I to start noticing more of those glimpses and becoming more grateful for them.  We're going to tag team this thing so visit him over at the highs and lows and highs of life.  Together we're working toward a thousand thanks.

My husband beat me to the first five so here I go...

Number six:   I came down with a little bug yesterday so Chris handled Ephraim last night and this morning enabling me to get 12 1/2 hours of sleep!  Apparently I needed that.

Number seven:  I'm grateful for the rain we've been blessed with lately.  And the joy of showing it to Ephraim.
video

Number Eight:  Ephraim is now on my lap making it difficult to type anymore.  And for that little cuddle bug, a thousand thanks, Lord.

What are the glimpses of heaven surrounding you today?

1 comment:

Meg Fletcher said...

I feel the same way sometimes, it's so easy to get stuck in the negative. I'm really thankful for the rain as well! (especially when I have a day off to enjoy watching it!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...