Monday, January 31, 2011

It Begins Again

For quite some time now, we've been discussing adopting again.  We've known we wanted to expand our family again by adopting through foster care, but we weren't sure when we'd be ready...when Ephraim would be ready.

There's a lot of thought that goes into the decision to have another child, as many of you probably know.

Can I handle two?  Can we afford two?  How will Ephraim react and adjust when he's still so clingy and needy of our time?  Etc., etc., etc.

Yet at the back of your mind, though slowly creeping to the front, remains the "calling" you have received.  That little reminder that it's not about you and your comfort and making your life easy.  That there are kids who need families and we have a family to give them.

So last week we decided, "Let's do this thing!"

We received our adoption packet in the mail over the weekend and have begun the paperwork once again. The process seems like it will be so much easier this time as there's just less needed for foster care adoption than for international.  We don't have to deal with any immigration stuff, etc.

We are hoping for a child under the age of 18 months and the process should take about a year.

I feel like I'm able to be so much more excited this time around.  That probably sounds bad.  I was excited during Ephraim's process, but there were so many unknowns, it was our first child, our first adoption, there were so many risks, so much money needed, so much fear.  This time I guess I have more confidence and I feel better prepared for what we are about to do.  I'm sure I'll regret that sentence when our next child presents a whole new set of challenges!

So please pray for us and our future child as we all embark on this journey!  Thank you!

6 comments:

Little Miss Emmy Lou said...

Congratulations! What a monumental decision!

Meg Fletcher said...

How exciting! I'll be praying for you guys!

Stephanie said...

Wow- you're a brave mommy! How exciting though- praying that everything goes smoothly for your expanding family!

Penelope said...

We adopted our son through foster care. Everything is an unknown. He was placed with us as a baby for foster care only; however as the situation changed, we were able to adopt him a year and a half later. Our second baby, we've had to fight against the State to keep him. We will adopt him this year.
Prepare your hearts and minds for this journey. I will be praying for you!

Blessings,
Penny
http://foster2forever.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Hi Laurel! I just discovered your blog via my stat counter, and I just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm praying for your adoption process to go smoothly. Also, your little guy is a cutie :)

Heather at Want What You Have

Renee' said...

Seems like just yesterday you were counting the days when you were leaving for Africa to pick up your son. Wow....here you are again, preparing for another child...where does the time go? I will be praying for your little family my friend, how exciting! Blessings to you and Chris!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...