Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1-2-3 Magic


I have been feeling rather lost when it comes to disciplining my children as of late.  I haven't felt our tactics have been all that effective.  There are times when the boys are doing something I want them to stop, or they're not doing something I want them to start, and I just sort of stare at them for a moment...

Because I have no idea what to do.  Have you been there?

So I make something up.  I think if we're honest, we all kind of do that, don't we?

This week feels better, though.  Reason being, I started reading a book called 1-2-3 Magic:  Effective Discipline for Children 2-12  by Phelan.  Our social worker had recommended it while we were still in the process of adopting E.  I bought it, but when I saw it was meant for 2 and up, I shelved it till the proper time arose.  Friends, that time is now.  Next month, we'll have two 2-year-old boys and the energy and volume that emanate from these children is a bit beyond me!

This book has been sort of an aha! for me.  It's a simple principle yet I already see the effects.  My children are starting to listen better and our mode of disciplining is calmer, which keeps our whole house on a more even keel...as much as that's possible around here!

I recommend this book, especially if you are struggling with discipline in your home.

Sidenote, our social worker recommended it because Chris and I have different experiences with the idea of spanking, but neither view matters in our home because, of course, you are not allowed to spank in the foster care system.  It's kind of nice that the debate was settled for us.  So in case you're wondering, this book is a no spanking take on discipline.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...