Friday, August 3, 2012

Downsizing

As I've said, we are in the process of downsizing.  We are getting our house ready to sell and planning to rent something cheaper and therefore probably smaller.  We're thinking two bedroom.

So I keep carrying things to the garage to add to my yard sale pile.  But it's hard to do.  It's hard to let go of things, isn't it?  Why?  I know they're just things.  I know we don't need them.  But there are things that run through your mind as you stare down that item, trying to decide if you should/can part with it.

Will I ever use that again?  What if I NEED it a year from now...or two?  Did I really get my money's worth out of it or do I have to hold onto it longer because maybe that will mean I did get my money's worth?  Etc.

Why is it so hard to part with STUFF?

I don't know.  But I think downsizing is going to be good for us.  It's helping us realize how little we really do need.  My husband's dear friend Craig said something years ago that has stuck with me.  He was in the Navy, living in Hawaii, unmarried.  He was staying on a friend's couch at the time and everything he owned could literally fit in a duffle bag.  He talked about the freedom that he felt and how nice it was to realize how little stuff he actually needed in life.

But we forget, don't we?  We somehow convince ourselves that we NEED all this stuff.  And there is freedom in realizing we don't.

1 comment:

Meg Fletcher said...

I know what you mean, we're moving (in a week) back to the bay area again so my hubs can finish seminary. We've moved so many times I don't have much we don't use, however there are those things relatives gave me like tea cups that I don't use, haven't used and take up so much space! Good luck downsizing, it'll feel good once it's done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...