Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting Through



I'm feeling very discouraged as a mom lately.  Have you been there?  Are you there now?  I was asked yesterday if I wake up every day excited about the day.  No, I thought.  Honestly, I wake up every day thinking, I don't have the energy to do this today.  Chris pointed out that every night I ask God to help us "get through" tomorrow.  As if that's the goal.  To just "get through."

The truth is I'm not really enjoying my kids lately.  I'm not really cherishing motherhood.  I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed and a little lost with how to handle J-Man and I yell too much and I haven't really cleaned the house since we moved in and I'm probably focusing more on my kids' flaws than on their beauty.

So this morning I read this:  Dear mom who feels discouraged. And then I read this:  Dear mom who feels like she is failing.  And I started to feel better.  I started to feel like maybe I'm not the only one.  Maybe most moms actually don't have everything together.

I don't want to feel like this.  I want to wake up excited about the day's adventures.  I want to feel like I'm doing a good job as a mom.  I want to enjoy these precious years while my kids are young and at home with me.  I want to be the mom they deserve.

I don't totally know how to do that.  I'm going to start praying for more joy instead of just asking to get through.  I'm going to make an effort to get excited in the morning instead of being irritated that my kids are up so early and annoyed that they demand breakfast and juice immediately.  And I think I'm going to implement Rachel's idea from the posts above and make a list each day of the things I want to do, the things I need to do, and the things I would love to do with my family, and then do one thing from each list.  That sounds less complicated than trying to accomplish EVERYTHING on my extensive to-do list every day.  And it sounds more fun!

Let's go ENJOY today!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...