Friday, January 25, 2013

In The Wilderness



Remember the Israelites in the Old Testament?  God brings them out of Egypt where they were slaves, and they wander the wilderness for forty years before God brings them into the Promised Land.  I'm studying the book of Deuteronomy in a women's group right now and I really feel like right now, my family is in the wilderness.

God brought Chris out of being a pastor (where he got burned out) and I think we're in this phase of life where we are processing all that happened while he was there and we're trying to learn from it, to let go, to forgive where we need to forgive.  We're living on manna.  We're seeing signs and wonders.  And through all of this, we're learning more of Who God is. 

And eventually, I think He'll lead us into the Promised Land.  Chris feels more and more lately like he WILL go back into full-time ministry eventually.  I think we'll move somewhere new eventually.  I think we'll find our Promised Land where we'll bear the most fruit and have the most impact.  I don't know how long we'll be in this wilderness, but realizing that's where we are makes everything make a lot more sense to us.  And there's comfort and even joy in that.

We're trying to heal right now.  We're trying to learn what we're supposed to learn and grow in the ways we're supposed to grow.

Are you in the wilderness right now?  Or have you been there before?

3 comments:

Daily Spiritual Tools said...

Laurel,
I believe that all things happen in Divine order. Whatever's in the future for your husband and you is perfectly planned and happening just as it should. I'm glad I found your blog and stopped by.
Blessings,
Sherry


Daily Spiritual Tools, the Blog
Daily Spiritual Tools, the Book

Elisabeth Doss said...

I've been in a wilderness for a long time. Especially in the last 4+ years, all I've wanted to do was to get out of the Valley, move somewhere exciting, finish school and do something. In the last year, God has definitely shut the door to all of those. Most people think I'm crazy for quitting school, but God couldn't have been more clear about me needing to step away from it and do something else (what that something else is, I still have no idea.)

But the one thing I have definitely learned from all of it, is that God has been trying to teach me to be content.

I look at my life right now: I'm living by myself in my own apartment, I'm single, providing for myself, and I have not one, but two cats. In my heart, I desire so much more, but I have no idea what door God has for me. I feel like Alice when she falls into the room with several doors most of the time...never knowing which one I'm supposed to be walking through.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the wilderness is rough, but God does have a plan. I know you know this, but sometimes its hard to remember that. I know I forget on almost a daily basis.

I hope God brings you out of the wilderness soon and that that divine plan is presented to you and your family, and that it is everything and more that you could have hoped for.

Laurel Feierbach said...

Elisabeth, thank you so much for sharing. Thank you for the encouragement and prayers. I'm praying for you, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...