Thursday, January 10, 2013

Learning About Afros



We're talking about afros in my house lately.  We're learning the term and we're practicing them on ourselves.

My heart melted the other day when Chris whisked that little comb all over E's head to help him rock an afro at church.  He has no idea what he's doing.  But he tries and it's stinking adorable.

I got my Parents magazine in the mail today for February and it told me what I must confess I had to hear from Parents magazine: it's almost Black History Month.  I should know that by now, shouldn't I?  It's just another little pang in my gut that tells me I didn't care as much as I should've before MY family became black.  You know?  I'm 26-years-old...I should know when Black History Month is.  Shouldn't I?  Because it's a big part of our country's history and it's important.

Then I find a book about Rosa Parks and it's for ages 4+ and I look at the front cover and think, do I really want to talk about THAT at age 4?  How would I even do that?  And I was reminded about an episode of Parenthood where Jasmine has to discuss racism with her mixed race son whose only like 7 because he heard a word he shouldn't have had to hear.  And she does it in this really beautiful and honest way as her white husband looks on with admiration.  He feels he'll never be able to relate to that part of his son's life.  But it's ok because he has her to handle that.

And I remember in our family, it's just us.  And we're both white and so we don't really get it.  We don't really know what it's like to be black in America today.

Being a white parent to 2 black children is intimidating, ya'll.  I feel so small and unqualified. 

About 3 years ago, I posted this article entitled Whites Adopting Black Children.  Click on over to it, it's such great stuff!  The deal is we are not alone.  And that's what will be our biggest help, really. 

"Realize that in matters of race and culture you will learn the most about parenting your child from Black parents and other cultural guides."

And I just think that's huge.  We don't have to do this alone and we shouldn't do it alone.  And that's probably the most important thing to remember.


2 comments:

Dana@DeathbyGreatWall said...

Laurel, I came over today from One Thankful Mom. What a sweet and honest post. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mama.

Laurel Feierbach said...

Thanks for reading, Dana!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...