Sunday, January 6, 2013

Success and Flowers


My deepest desire is to be viewed as "successful" by God.  My deepest fear is just the opposite.  The thought of getting to heaven and not hearing, "Well done, good and faithful servant."  That's my biggest fear.

But there are these verses in the Bible that say, "he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation - if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel" (Colossians 1.21-23). 

I HAVE BEEN reconciled.  If I continue in my faith and do not leave this hope of the gospel message, then I will be without blemish and free from accusation.  I am approved.  I don't have to do anything to earn that.  I'm beginning to think maybe we will all hear, "Well done" when we meet God because it's already been done for us, through Christ.

So why do we do things for God?  I think it's just to please Him.  We do not do it to get approval or love or to earn or receive anything, really.  We do it to show Him we love Him and we are grateful.  My husband compared it to him bringing me flowers.  He does not do this to earn anything from me.  He does not do this so that I will keep him as my husband.  Really, it's not about him, at all.  It's about me.  He brings me flowers to make me happy and to make me feel loved. 

And so it is with God, I think.  Our living for Him does not earn us anything more than Christ already bought for us.  It does not make us approved in His sight, it does not make us "successful" in His sight.  But it blesses Him.  And it makes Him happy.  And it shows Him love.  It's not about me, really, it's about Him.

That is grace.  Grace that is still hard for me to understand and grasp, even after all these years.  But I will keep trying to understand it more, to let it change my ways of thinking more.

What are your thoughts on this?  Because it's so beyond me that my mind just struggles with it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...