Friday, July 19, 2013

Listen

There's a radio station we get here that broadcasts out of Oakland.  It's been very educational for my husband and I because it often speaks from a point of view we know nothing about.  It speaks about injustices all around the world.  It speaks about race.  It speaks about judicial systems.  It speaks about faraway places I 've never studied.

If you have a radio station or a blog or a website that speaks from a point of view you are not closely acquainted with, I challenge you to tune in every once in a while.  It can be good for the soul as well as the mind.

Anyway, today they were talking about the Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman case, the riots, the need for a change in our narrative. 

As I listened to people who have lived lives so different from mine, here's what really sunk in with me:  we have got to listen to how people feel.  We have to listen with compassion and empathy and a desire to understand.  Instead of responding with defensiveness or incredulity or denial of accusations, we have to listen with compassion.  Whatever you think about race issues today in America, we have to just stop and really try to hear what people around us are saying.  Because if people who look different from me feel the way I hear them feeling, then something is wrong.  I don't even know for sure what it is, but I can tell that SOMETHING is wrong. 

I guess I'm speaking mostly to the majority here.  I'm speaking to those of privilege, like myself.  Heck, I'm speaking to white people, mostly.  If people feel injustices are abounding against people who look a certain way, then we need to listen to that and we need to try to do something to fix the problem. 

So I guess today I felt convicted to just listen more.  To hear more. 

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

One of my favorite ways to listen to stories I'd otherwise never hear is through the This American Life series on NPR. You can listen for free online: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/home

Laurel Feierbach said...

Thanks for sharing, Lindsay. I will check that out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...