Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ask

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!"  - Matthew 7.11

My Women's Group leader shared this verse today and emphasized the fact that we are supposed to ASK God for things.  Even though He knows us, knows our needs, knows our wants, He still wants us to ASK for them.  I don't fully know why.  Maybe it has to do with humbleness or showing His faithfulness or intimacy.  But He tells us to ask Him for good gifts.

I am often asking God for His will in my life.  I believe this is a good thing to do and that it is what we are supposed to do, but it seems there's another aspect to it, too.  We are also supposed to ask for the things we want and desire.

As we get ready to come out of the wilderness and we are looking for that next step God wants us to take, we are regularly asking for His will.  But I haven't really asked Him for what I want in that.

So this evening, I laid out all of my desires in the area of "our next step."  I asked God for all the things Chris and I WANT as we move forward.  As I was praying, the Lord reminded me of Jesus' prayer before His crucifixion:

   "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as You will."

Jesus asks God for what He wants (to not have to be crucified), but ends with asking God's will over His own.

We can do this, too!  We can ask God for all the things we want, but ultimately ask for His will above our own.  I don't know if you are in the habit of doing this, but it was very refreshing and lovely for me to ask my Father for the things I want this evening.  I love that He cares and that He listens and even wants me to ask!

2 comments:

Elisabeth Doss said...

This was exactly what I needed to read tonight. Thank you Laurel! I find so much encouragement in your blog, and am so blessed by what you write. Thank you for being so transparent and genuine on here!

Laurel Feierbach said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Elisabeth!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...