Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Breakfast For Dinner

We do breakfast for dinner a lot at my house.  The reasons being: it's cheap, it's quick and easy, and my kids love it.  Do you do breakfast for dinner regularly?  If not, you should start!

Here, 5 ways I made Breakfast for Dinner healthier last night!

1.  Whole wheat flour.  I usually make pancakes from scratch because it's cheap and easy and you can make them much healthier.  You probably already have a pancake recipe you default to.  Just switch out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour.  Super simple, much healthier. 

2.  No oil.  I love to use applesauce in place of oil in baking.  You don't notice the difference at all and it's much healthier.  Another healthy option I sometimes use is coconut oil  The health benefits of coconut oil are extensive!

3.  Maple syrup.  Pure.  My personal trainer husband wanted to make the switch to maple syrup earlier this year and I was skeptical.  I like me some good old Mrs. Butterworths.  Maple syrup tastes VERY different.  But I've gotten used to it and so have my kids.  You hardly need any maple syrup because it has a strong flavor.  I slowly weaned us off of the other junk and now we all love maple syrup.

4.  Fresh berries.  It's berry season, ya'll!  I don't know about where you live, but here we have little produce stands with fresh strawberries and blueberries and this is my favorite time of year to live here.  Even if you don't have produce stands, you can still grab in season berries at the store.  Throw some on top of your pancakes!

5.  Turkey sausage.  I have become obsessed with frozen turkey sausage this year!  It's delicious and super convenient.  I stock my freezer with patties and links and I usually just pop them in the microwave.  A healthier sausage option with great flavor!

Any healthier breakfast for dinner tips you'd like to share with us?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...