Thursday, May 29, 2014

E

This weekend I'll be sharing a short summary of our international adoption experience at an Adoption & Fostering 101 Workshop hosted by City Without Orphans.  I also get to participate in a Q&A at the end.  I'm really looking forward to it, although I am a little nervous.  I love sharing our adoption stories and encouraging others in their adoption journeys.

So as I'm preparing for Saturday I've been thinking a lot about E and his story.  I thought I'd tell you all a little more about my oldest son.

 
 
He was born in Ethiopia and we brought him home when he was 8 months old.  That first year home was really really hard and really really exhausting.  He did not sleep.  For a year.  E would take 2 naps a day, but they were each only 20-30 minutes.  Nighttime held a lot of fear for him and we would wake about 3 times a night every night.  Sometimes he'd be up for 3 hours at a time.  It was always really difficult to get him back to sleep.  Then he'd be up for the day at 5 am, sometimes 4 am.  For a year.  He has come a long way with sleep issues and is now pretty dang solid!
 
He's my snuggler.  I call him "Cuddle Bug" because he's always been really good at cuddling and even at 5, he still loves to snuggle up with his mama.
 
He's also really smart.  He's fantastic at negotiating.  He talks like he's older than he is. 
 
E loves tv and music.  He'll often turn on Disney Pandora and lay down on the couch and just listen to his tunes.  He's a homebody.  He'd always prefer to be home or at the home of a close family member.  Unless he's going to Target to buy a toy.
 
Right now E's obsession is quarters.  He asks everyone for quarters.  Even people he doesn't know in the store.  It's embarrassing.  We probably need to enforce some boundaries on this, but I'm not really sure how to do that.  He saves up his quarters in his new Darth Vader piggybank until he has $5 and then we take him to the store to pick something out.  At least he's learning a bit of money management!
 
I'm excited to see what this boy does in life and where he goes!  And I'm so grateful I get to be his mom!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...