Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Words Aren't Real



Yesterday, my son had a hard day.  There was major anger, hurtful words, and lots of disobedience.  At breakfast this morning, he asked me, "Mommy, have I been doing a good job not hurting anyone lately?"  He was referring to physically hurting people because he's been really working on not doing that, and he has been doing a good job.

"Well, you've been hurting people with your words, haven't you?"  I said.

He looked puzzled.  "But words aren't real," he said.

"Oh, yes, they are.  Words are very real." 

I went on to tell him how hurtful words can be to people's hearts and minds.  We talked about how words can also make people feel good and happy.

It was such a small conversation, but I hope it clicked in his little mind. 

And it's a good reminder for all of us, isn't it?  Words are very real.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...