Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Alone Time

my boys do everything together

J-Man had a major meltdown last night, stemming from me asking him to pick up his blocks, but then escalating to aggressive behavior and mean words.  I ended up putting him in bed at 6:30 and he was asleep by 7.  Obviously, he was tired!

So he spent this morning in his room, playing by himself and only coming out for meals/snacks.  Sometimes I feel like he's too young to spend an entire morning grounded to his room, but we did this after last week's major meltdown aggressive episode and it really helped.  I think he needs some time alone, but he never takes it of his own accord.  He and his brother hang out together ALL DAY every day and while it's really nice that they have each other as a playmate, it also seems to be too much together time sometimes.  They get tired of each other, grouchy, sick of sharing.  Sometimes I think they just need a break from each other, but they won't naturally take that break.

We do have "quiet time" every afternoon where they spend about an hour playing quietly by themselves in their rooms.  Some days they will take a nap during this time.  While it is good, I wonder if it's enough separate time in an entire day.  I'm starting to think J-Man needs a little more time to himself each day.

So I'd love to hear suggestions!  Do you have ways you get your kids to take alone time each day.  What does that look like?  How do you do it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...