Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Going Camping

This was about 3 years ago!

We are planning a camping trip soon!  We recently bought a new tent.  People, it's an 8 person tent!  Yes, there are only 4 people in our family.  But last time we went in a 6 person tent we borrowed from my parents, we felt really cramped.  Put 4 people in there with a little luggage and you CAN'T MOVE.  I know, I know, that's sort of the M.O. of tent camping, but we wanted some more space.  Space.  That's sort of our family watchword lately.  Chris and I are coming to accept the fact that we have really wild boys.  They have a lot of energy, they get loud, and they do things on big scales.  So for us to survive all of that, we've realized we require some space.  This was largely determined by our spending a year and a half in a tiny apartment with no backyard!  Too much.  It was just too much.

Anyway.  We bought an 8 person tent.  It's huge.  My 6-foot-tall self can stand up in the center. 

We'll just be heading up into the mountains near where we live.  The boys have been getting into fishing lately so we'll fish in a little creek up there and we'll hike to a lake.  Ah, doesn't that sound nice?

We don't take many trips partly because of financial reasons and partly because my husband owns his own business and therefore doesn't get any time off.  He's been the only employee since he started his business.  And he works until 8 pm on Fridays and starts work at 6 am on Mondays.  Not very conducive to travel.  BUT, he recently hired a guy who will sub for him on occasion.  Hallelujah!  So he can take off the occasional Friday evening and we can head out of town.

We've been talking more lately about the importance of traditions and family experiences.  I think traditions and fun family times are important for all kids, but especially for kids who were adopted.  I feel like our kids need a little extra to cement that feeling of connectedness and family, to help them fully know that they are part of something.  So we'll be heading up to the mountains soon.  It's nothing extravagant, yet it also is.  I struggle in the tension of "live simply so that others may simply live" and giving my kids experiences and memories that ground them as part of a family.  I think it's good to live in that tension.  I don't want to live too extravagantly when there are people who don't even have access to clean water.  Yet I want to help my kids in whatever ways they need to feel solid and joyful, and connected.  Does that make sense?  I guess it's good to just keep struggling with that tension and keep living in it and trying to figure it out.

Thoughts?  Or ways you save money but still have fun times as a family?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...