Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Support



Last night, I managed to make it to the adoptive parent support group I haven't attended in a few months.  Oh man, it felt good!

Over and over, the feeling around the table was, "yes, you guys get it."  That feeling is so very valuable for adoptive parents.  Adoptive parenting can be very isolating and someone mentioned last night how we have to actively fight against that isolation.  I think that's so true.

New people showed up last night and, after listening to all of us for a bit, said something along the lines of, "Wow, it feels so good and it's such a relief to know it's not just us, it's not just our home."  That realization can make a world of difference!

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again to all of you adoptive/foster parents:  FIND A SUPPORT GROUP!  Get connected with other people who are in the same situation you are.  Know you're not alone.  Hear stories that tell you what's going on in your house is actually the norm for this type of parenting.  Fight against the isolation. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...