Friday, January 23, 2015

Abide



"Abide in my love." -John 15.9

Abide means to stay, remain, live.  I'm trying to let this really sink into my heart.  What does that mean for me to stay in His love, remain in His love, live in His love?

Most of the time, I don't really get it.  When I come face-to-face with my fallen-ness, with the sinful nature that still lives in me, I realize I still don't fully understand His love.  Because I doubt.  I doubt that He really does love me with that never stopping, unconditional love.

So what does it look like for us to live there, in His love?  I'm still working it out.  "Remaining" in His love means I have to keep pulling myself back there.  It means I can't let myself leave His love.  I can't go to that place of questioning His love or questioning His forgiveness.  I must accept it and stay in it.

Harder than it sounds, isn't it?

Join me in this conscious effort to live in His love.  And may the truth and reality of His love change us.

2 comments:

Janice Nichols said...

I'm learning, thanks to some good teaching from my pastors, that what I know and what I believe are two different things. My behavior is an expression of what I really believe. So I can't truly say that I abide in his love if I don't LIVE like I abide in his love. That doubt that you have, I have as well. I'm sure we all do. We're human, and thankfully his grace covers us even in the moments we doubt.

Laurel Feierbach said...

Amen, Janice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...